Star Wars the Old Republic
|2 years ago :: Dec 20 2011 - 8:07AM|
Since I am only lvl 18, I can only talk about what I have seen so far.
This game is freaking awesome! There are some traits that are the same as WoW. This has to be expected though. WoW was the trend setter. It is like trying to compare story lines of TV shows with that of the Simpsons. After 25 years, there is not a topic they have not touched. With this said, some things have to be expected.
However, when one gets past that, holy crap Batman, this game is awesome.
Here is my list of options that are better.
1. Interactions with NPCs. In WoW one would go to a quest giver NPC pick up the quest (more than likely not read it), go do the quest (kill things pick up pelts or whatever), then return and turn it in. Really no interaction. In SWTOR, when you go to a quest giver, you go into a mini cut scene where you actually have a conversation. You select one of three options for your answer in your conversation. Some answers give you light side points, some answers give you dark side points, some give you nothing, and some either give you affection or takes affection away from your companion. All in all, very interactive.
2. Customization of items, self, or companions. There is a ton of customization items in SWTOR. 4 different modifications you can put on your light sabers, modifications for some of your gear (just got a chest peice where I can 3 different upgrades to it. You can also do the same thing with your gear for your companion. Don't like the color of your companion or choose the wrong one (like I did, oops), then you can change it at a later date.
3. Space ships. You get your own ship when complete the story train in the main area. The ship can get upgrades as well (be careful though, they are expensive). Once you get your ship, you can talk to your companions, you have a bank (storage locker), and you get daily space combat missions. The Space Combat missions are alot of fun. The best way to describe it is Star Fox. These missions give you a ton of EXP and the missions are rather easy. (Just make sure you upgrade your ship.)
4. Companions. Companions really change up this game from WoW. They will fight with you (if your a caster DPS, then your companion is a tank), and they can do all of your farming and crafting. Just send them out to do it versus yourself. Sending out your companions is the way to go. There is a money fee you have to pay, but, it is better than running around and farming the stuff yourself. Not to mention what they craft makes up for the cost of farming.
5. Flashpoints. The equivalent to WoW is dungeons. Flashpoints are alot of fun. When you finish your first zone (Since we went Sith, you get the Black Talon FP) you get one. In this case I did Black Talon. A group of 3 people (and I would say a minimum of 3 people on this, max party number is 4) board a supply ship enroute to Dromound Kaas (Sith Planet), the ship takes a detour to go after an old Sith General that has changed sides and is on his way to the Republic with Republic guards. The interaction with the NPC's really make this more than just a standard dungeon run.
So all in all, when comparing SWTOR to WoW, SWTOR wins by improving the foundation of WoW and taking the MMORPG to the next level with the NPC interaction.
I will mention a quest train I did this weekend. You have to take out a Sith Lord. Once done you have an option to flirt with the wife of the dead Sith Lord. So of course I did. Inturn she offers a sexual payment to you. She then mentions if you were going to send your companion away. I chose not too. So while the Sith Lord's wife was slobbing me, I made my female companion watch. Of course you see none of this, but, after the conversation exchange is over, you see the Sith Lord's wife rub her thumb against her bottom lip. LOL! All implications show it was some slobbing going on.
|2 years ago :: Dec 24 2011 - 2:39AM|
Ya that game lookz awesomez, cant wait 2 get it:)
|2 years ago :: Jan 9 2012 - 2:42PM|
Presntly I am sitting at level 47 on my Sith Warrior. And all I can say is, "wow". Bioware has really elevated the bar when it comes to MMORPG's here.
For years the standard barrer was World of Warcraft. Not only has Bioware exceeded the fondation of WoW, but, elevated it to where Blizzard will not be able to keep up.
Now there are still some bugs that need to be worked out, but, considering this is vanilla, that has to be expected. Minor glitches, like when your on a speeder, the game will glitch and freeze up then your where your supposed to be. From the forums these little things are being worked on.
Bottom line is, would I recommend this to PC gamers? YES!
|2 years ago :: Jan 13 2012 - 7:08AM|
|2 years ago :: Jan 13 2012 - 11:24AM|
I am enjoying the game so far as well. Level 13 Sith Assassin here. :)
|2 years ago :: Jan 24 2012 - 12:35PM|
On the Shadow Hand server. Sith side.
Guild Spectres (yes a Mass Effect reference) has taken down Soa in the Eternity Vault opertaion.
|2 years ago :: Aug 29 2012 - 10:57PM|
I just got this game cuz the price dropped for some reason, but this is such a great game and I really dont like computer games.
|2 years ago :: Aug 30 2012 - 7:27AM|
You should have waited a little longer. They are going to a F2P model. Which has it's good points and bad.
However, if EA pushes this into a P2W deal where some punk a** 15 year old kid gets ahold of daddy's credit card and buys the best gear in the game without having to raid, then I am out.
Our guild has put in too much time and effort to down Eternity Vault (Nightmare Mode-Farm status), Karragas Palace (Nightmare Mode-Farm status), and presently working on Denova (Hard Mode-would be on Nightmare if core raiders showed up) to have punk kids get the best gear in the game by paying for it.
On a different note, which side did you pick? Spec? What server?
I have 2 toons. A Marauder DPS (Kahoki) and a Sorc Healer (Kihoku). Server is Shadowlands, Sith side of course. Guild name is Spectres (yes a ME reference).
|2 years ago :: Aug 30 2012 - 7:28AM|
Deadly, how are you guys coming along for raid purposes?
|2 years ago :: Aug 31 2012 - 2:16AM|
The Dark side of course because they have free cookies right?LOL and i chose the bounty hunter class.